News & Multimedia

SAFER barrier has accelerated racing safety for 10 years

It took trial and error, a lot of research, development, engineering and money to get it right, but now, in its 10th anniversary year, the brainchild of former Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Tony George is installed at practically every big track in the nation.

It’s called the SAFER Barrier, and it basically reduces the energy of a crash and takes that energy lower for the driver. The SAFER Barrier was installed around all of the outside walls at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in time for the 2002 Indianapolis 500.

“We started with a safety committee,” said Phil Casey, now retired from his role as INDYCAR technical director. “Leo Mehl had us in a group … Brian Barnhart, Les MacTaggart, Dr. (Henry) Bock. They’d been doing a little testing at the University of Michigan.”

The first try – called PEDS – was installed inside the fourth turn at the Speedway in 1998. Arie Luyendyk hit it with an International Race of Champions (IROC) car in August 1998. The polyethylene barrier absorbed the impact but broke into pieces that scattered across the track.

“He hit it real hard, and it blew apart,” Casey said. “We talked to Texas A&M and University of Nebraska. We made a trip to Nebraska and did some tests and after a while, we formed a cushion and still stopped the car.

“We ran cars at 150 miles an hour into the barrier…Formula Ford 2000s, then wide cars, then NASCAR sent out some stock cars. We probably crashed about 30 in all. The first version (of the SAFER Barrier) was at the Speedway in 2002 and the second two years later with different lengths of steel tubing. Tony got NASCAR in on it. Jack Arute has the short track at Stafford Springs, Conn., and he put some in there.

“Iowa has it around the whole race track, and it’s the only one that does. It’s one of the biggest things that’s happened in high-speed racing.”

Ron Fowler, assistant director of the Midwest Roadside Safety Facility and research assistant professor at Nebraska, worked on the technical end.

“John Pierce was contracted by IMS to determine if we had the capabilities,” Fowler said. “After we were hired, one of our first tasks was to modify the system that was used when Luyendyk hit in ’98.

“We had a team of research faculty, teaching faculty and graduate students working with materials we hadn’t worked with before. We had a core group of five that later grew to 35 people or more.”

The results turned out to be significant.

“We’ve noticed reductions in loading by 25-35 percent and up to 70 percent in certain situations,” Fowler said.

“The depth and breadth of this job was by far the most intense we had encountered up until that time. It required us to modify our thinking. This, so far, has been a very successful project. That success is only what we hear from drivers when they come out unharmed. That’s how to evaluate it. We continue today to make some minor tweaks to various components.”

Fowler said the concept may have some highway uses.

“We are currently working on taking the SAFER Barrier technology to highway applications,” Fowler said. “Tunnels or tight turns or other high-speed areas.”
 

Show More Show Less
Now Viewing
SAFER barrier has accelerated racing safety for 10 years
 
SAFER barrier has accelerated racing safety for 10 years
“There’s no question in my mind that these SAFER barriers have saved a lot of lives.” --Darrell Waltrip, NASCAR Sprint Cup Talladega telecast, May 6, 2012.
Read More
Related Media
Scott Dixon wins the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series Championship
 
Monday Racing Roundup: What A Finish! Dixon Wins Race, Title On Tiebreak
Juan Pablo Montoya entered the 85-lap GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma with a 34-point cushion on second-place Graham Rahal and 47-point lead on Scott Dixon. But it was Dixon, who started ninth in the No. 9 Target Chip Ganassi Racing Chevrolet, who departed Wine Country with the title. Dixon won for the second consecutive year at Sonoma Raceway, and claimed the title on a tiebreaker with three race wins to Montoya's two wins.
Read More
Justin Wilson
 
Justin Wilson Children's Fund Update
INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway encourage racing fans to make donations to a new fund established to support the family of Justin Wilson. Donations to the Wilson Children's Fund can be made online at www.wilsonchildrensfund.com or sent to the following address:
Read More
Will Power on pit lane at Detroit
 
Power looks to retain IndyCar title Sunday at Sonoma despite heavy heart
The last thing defending Verizon IndyCar Series champion Will Power wants to do is surrender his crown this weekend at the season finale in Sonoma at the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma. Power is still in the title hunt, but he admitted it’s hard to muster the usual excitement after the loss of Justin Wilson on Monday.
Read More
Justin Wilson
 
Justin Wilson 1978-2015
INDYCAR announced that driver Justin Wilson, who enjoyed success in multiple motorsports series during a two-decade professional career, died today from a head injury suffered in the Verizon IndyCar Series race Aug. 23 at Pocono Raceway. He was 37.
Read More
Justin Wilson
 
IMS Statement Regarding Justin Wilson
A statement from Indianapolis Motor Speedway President J. Douglas Boles about the passing of Indianapolis 500 and United States Grand Prix veteran Justin Wilson:
Read More
Items 1 - 5 of 1,017
Reserve one of our hospitality suites for your next event!
To start planning your event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway please fill out our Information Request Form or contact Laura Wyamn at (317) 492-8557 or email at lwyman@brickyard.com.
Latest Tweets
You spoke & we listened - Here are some of your favorite red cars to run at IMS! http://t.co/RCrJaDEkg4 #FridayFive http://t.co/Ue9KTYAlTm
about 9 hours ago