News & Multimedia

AJ Foyt Racing Hires Mike Conway To Drive No. 14 ABC Supply Indy Car

HOUSTON  December 20, 2011 - AJ Foyt Racing has hired Long Beach Grand Prix winner Mike Conway to drive the No. 14 ABC Supply Honda in the 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series.

Conway, who won the Long Beach Grand Prix in his 26th IndyCar start, brings strength on the road courses to the team. In 2011, he qualified in the top-10 six times on the road and street circuits, which is also where his four top-10 finishes came.

“With the Series having twice as many road courses as ovals, we looked for a driver who is fast on those tracks and Mike has certainly proved himself in that area,” said A.J. Foyt. “I’m looking forward to working with him,” adding with a chuckle, “I may even be able to give him a little advice when it comes to the ovals.”

“First of all I’d like to thank 2MB Sports Management and AJ Foyt Racing for making this deal come together. I can't wait to start work with the AJ Foyt Racing team and to drive the No. 14 ABC Supply Car.  It's going to be an exciting season with the new cars and multiple engine manufacturers. Hopefully we can hit the ground running with off season developments and be quick out the box. I’m counting the days until the first test and the start of the season,” commented Mike Conway. 

Conway made his first start in the IZOD IndyCar Series in 2009 driving for Dreyer-Reinbold. Towards mid-season he began capitalizing on his brilliant potential with several top-10 finishes before scoring his first podium - a third place finish at California’s challenging Infineon Raceway.

In 2010, he was in position to post his fourth top-10 finish in six starts but on the final lap of the Indianapolis 500, he collided with a suddenly slowing Ryan Hunter-Reay, launching Conway into the catchfence resulting in season-ending injuries to his leg and back.

Signing with Andretti Autosport in 2011, Conway dispelled all doubts about his return to the cockpit with a strong fourth place qualifying run in the season opener in St. Petersburg and an incredible drive in the Long Beach Grand Prix. In that race, he qualified third but dropped to 21st after a problem on the first pit stop. Conway fought his way back to lead the final 14 laps after executing a couple of textbook passes on frontrunners Ryan Briscoe and Dario Franchitti, who finished second and third.

The British Racing Drivers Club recently awarded the Innes Ireland Award to Conway in recognition of his inspiring comeback from his 2010 Indy 500 accident. The award is given to the driver who best displayed the qualities of courage and sportsmanship epitomized by the late Innes Ireland, a British Formula 1 driver who was badly injured in the 1961 Monaco Grand Prix. He recovered to win three Grands Prix the same season including the U.S. Grand Prix at Watkins Glen.

En route to Conway’s burgeoning IndyCar career, the 28-year-old Briton won several championships, triumphing in British Karting, the 2004 Formula Renault UK Series as well as the British F3 International Series in 2006. Conway captured the Macau Grand Prix in 2006 becoming the first British driver to do so since Darren Manning won it in 1999. Manning drove for the Foyt team from 2006-2008.

In 2007 and 2008, Conway raced in the very competitive GP2 Series (previously named Formula 3000), the feeder series to Formula 1. Conway, who won a sprint race in the streets of Monaco in 2008, also served as a test driver for the Honda Formula 1 team during that time.

"We all have big expectations for the upcoming season, and Mike shares our passion for getting the team back in victory lane,” Larry Foyt said.  “There is no doubt he has a ton of talent and, when combined with A.J.'s experience, I think we can accomplish great things together."

Foyt’s ABC Supply team will take delivery of its 2012 Dallara this week and expects to start testing in early February.

Show More Show Less
Now Viewing
IMS
 
AJ Foyt Racing Hires Mike Conway To Drive No. 14 ABC Supply Indy Car
AJ Foyt Racing has hired Long Beach Grand Prix winner Mike Conway to drive the No. 14 ABC Supply Honda in the 2012 IZOD IndyCar Series.
Read More
Related Media
Justin Wilson
 
Justin Wilson Children's Fund Update
INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway encourage racing fans to make donations to a new fund established to support the family of Justin Wilson. Donations to the Wilson Children's Fund can be made online at www.wilsonchildrensfund.com or sent to the following address:
Read More
Will Power on pit lane at Detroit
 
Power looks to retain IndyCar title Sunday at Sonoma despite heavy heart
The last thing defending Verizon IndyCar Series champion Will Power wants to do is surrender his crown this weekend at the season finale in Sonoma at the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma. Power is still in the title hunt, but he admitted it’s hard to muster the usual excitement after the loss of Justin Wilson on Monday.
Read More
Justin Wilson
 
Justin Wilson 1978-2015
INDYCAR announced that driver Justin Wilson, who enjoyed success in multiple motorsports series during a two-decade professional career, died today from a head injury suffered in the Verizon IndyCar Series race Aug. 23 at Pocono Raceway. He was 37.
Read More
Justin Wilson
 
IMS Statement Regarding Justin Wilson
A statement from Indianapolis Motor Speedway President J. Douglas Boles about the passing of Indianapolis 500 and United States Grand Prix veteran Justin Wilson:
Read More
Scott Dixon
 
Pruett's Preview: Going For It at Pocono
Target Chip Ganassi Racing’s Scott Dixon sits third in the Verizon IndyCar Series championship. The three-time title winner is accustomed to being at the sharp end of the standings with the season drawing to a close, and with this weekend’s ABC Supply 500 at Pocono’s tri-oval offering a chance to move up to first or second in points, the New Zealander says his game plan is incredibly simple.
Read More
Items 1 - 5 of 1,016
Reserve one of our hospitality suites for your next event!
To start planning your event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway please fill out our Information Request Form or contact Laura Wyamn at (317) 492-8557 or email at lwyman@brickyard.com.
Latest Tweets
Those interested in electronically donating to the Wilson Children’s Fund, can do so at: http://t.co/sZGxIN2fRt #BadassWilson
about 9 hours ago