News & Multimedia

Hendrick Loses Appeal

Courtesy of Speed.com

A three-member panel today unanimously upheld NASCAR’s penalties levied against the No. 48 Hendrick Motorsports team for illegal C-posts discovered during pre-qualifying inspection for the Daytona 500.


Hendrick Motorsports will have one final chance at getting the penalties overturned, when it will go before NASCAR chief appellate officer John Middlebrook, a former General Motors executive.

Middlebrook has heard one prior appeal, in 2010, when Clint Bowyer’s Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet failed post-race inspection after winning the first race in the Chase for the Sprint Cup at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

Bowyer’s points penalty was upheld in that case, but crew chief Shane Wilson saw his punishment reduced from a six-week suspension and a $150,000 fine to four weeks and $100,000.

No schedule for the final Hendrick appeal has been set.

Asked why he will appeal again, team owner Rick Hendrick said, “I don’t accept it. Period.”

The Hendrick appeal began at 9 a.m. ET at the NASCAR R&D Center in Concord, N.C. and ended at about 2:30 p.m. The three members of the National Stock Car Racing Appeals Panel who heard the case were ex-USAC chairman John Capels, longtime Goodyear executive Leo Mehl and race track operator Dale Pinilis.

“I stand firmly behind our guys, but I do applaud NASCAR in giving us a process that we can present our side of things and then try to come to a conclusion,” said Hendrick. “So, for that I’m very appreciative of the system that NASCAR has in place.”

The original penalty ruling was that the No. 48 car was found to be in violation of Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4J (any determination by NASCAR officials that race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules detailed in Section 20 of the rule book or has not been approved by NASCAR prior to the event); and 20-2.1E (if in the judgment of NASCAR officials, any part or component of the car not previously approved by NASCAR that has been installed or modified to enhance aerodynamic performance will not be permitted – unapproved car body modifications).

Chad Knaus and car chief Ron Malec were suspended for six Sprint Cup races and Knaus was fined $100,000. But both will be at Bristol, pending the outcome of the final appeal.

Driver Jimmie Johnson and car owner Jeff Gordon were penalized with the loss of 25 driver and 25 owner points, respectively.

In February 2006, Knaus was suspended for four races, after the rear window of Johnson’s car failed to fit the template following Daytona 500 qualifying. Johnson won the Daytona 500 that year with interim crew chief Darian Grubb.

In June 2007, Knaus got six weeks off when he was suspended for illegally modifying the front fenders of Johnson’s car at Infineon Raceway.

Both times, Johnson went on to win the Sprint Cup championship that season.

After the hearing, Hendrick Motorsports issued the following statement:

“Hendrick Motorsports will request a hearing before the National Stock Car Racing chief appellate officer to continue its appeal of NASCAR sanctions related to the No. 48 Sprint Cup Series team.

“The panel was generous with its time today, and we appreciated the opportunity to talk through our concerns,” said Rick Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports. “We feel strongly about this issue and will continue to pursue it at the next level.”

“Adjustments to No. 48 team personnel are not planned while the appeal is ongoing.”

Show More Show Less
Now Viewing
Hendrick Loses Appeal
 
Hendrick Loses Appeal
Hendrick Motorsports this morning will appeal penalties levied after Jimmie Johnson’s car failed inspection prior to Daytona 500 qualifying.
Read More
Related Media
Kurt Busch and Ryan Hunter-Reay
 
Hunter-Reay and Busch Team Up Again
Ryan Hunter-Reay and Kurt Busch will be teammates again Dec. 13-14 when they will represent the USA in the Race of Champions' Nations Cup at the Bushy Park Circuit in Barbados.
Read More
Brad Keselowski
 
Monday Racing Roundup: Keselowski’s Clutch Win at Talladega Seals Eliminator Berth
Brad Keselowski pulled off the improbable win in his No. 2 Ford, overcoming an early incident to climb back into the perilous Talladega drafts and then surviving the final furious laps to win by .141 of a second over Matt Kenseth. The 2012 champion advanced to the “Eliminator” round, which begins this weekend at Martinsville.
Read More
Kevin Harvick
 
Harvick Wins in Charlotte
With the dominant car in Saturday night’s Bank of America 500 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, Kevin Harvick led 162 laps and survived a wild two-lap dash to the finish after the final caution en route to his third NASCAR Sprint Cup Series win of the season and a free pass into the Eliminator Round of the Chase.
Read More
Marc Marquez
 
Monday Racing Roundup: Marquez Clinches MotoGP Title at Motegi
On Sunday, the Repsol Honda rider became the youngest two-time world champion in the premier class by finishing second to Jorge Lorenzo at the Motul Grand Prix of Japan at Honda-owned Twin Ring Motegi.
Read More
Borg-Warner Trophy
 
New IMS Website Debuts
Fans of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will find a new online experience at the redesigned IMS.com.
Read More
Items 1 - 5 of 577
Reserve one of our hospitality suites for your next event!
To start planning your event at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway please fill out our Information Request Form or contact Phil Sparks at (317) 492-6463 or email at psparks@brickyard.com.
Latest Tweets
Speeds of 200MPH, go-go boots and Ronald Reagan - just some of the things that shaped the #Indy500 in the 1970s: http://t.co/HHL1Rn94v9
about 16 hours ago